Located on the northeast corner of Queen and Soho, the Black Bull is as much of a fixture in this cool 'hood as the tourists and trendanistas -- probably the reason why it's always busy with brewsters.
The fires of Queen WestBetween 2005 and today's fire at Queen West and Peter Streets, there have been at least eight major fires, destroying dozens of businesses and homes, including heritage buildings, and causing millions of dollars in damage.READ MORE »
Between 2005 and today's fire at Queen West and Peter Streets, there have been at least eight major fires, destroying dozens of businesses and homes, including heritage buildings, and causing millions of dollars in damage. Faulty wiring is mostly to blame, but the street's density and the age of its housing stock are also factors.
In 2008, the street suffered its most destructive fire, displacing almost 20 people and 14 businesses, and totalling around $10 million in damage.
The graphic above charts the biggest fires the area has seen in the past eight years. Click on the icon to read more about the specific fire, or see the chronological account below.
Aug. 15, 2013 A fire on a third-floor apartment above a Lululemon store causes $100,000 in damage on Queen Street West just east of Spadina Avenue. Faulty wiring is the suspected cause. Read more.
Nov. 12, 2012 A 30-year-old man was rushed to hospital with burns after a two-alarm fire broke out on a third-floor apartment at Queen Street West and Cameron Street, over a Jacobs Hardware adjacent to the Cameron House bar. Read more.
Oct. 30, 2012 A blaze destroyed a Roots department store at Queen Street West near Peter Street. High winds contributed to fire, which was deemed suspicious. Read more.
April 21, 2011 A three-alarm fire broke out at the Black Bull, a historic pub at Queen Street West and Peter Street. Two people were sent to hospital for smoke inhalation. The fire began in an upper-floor apartment. Read more.
May 24, 2010 A four-alarm house fire caused an estimated $600,000 in damage and forced three people from their homes at Queen Street West near Manning Avenue. Four stores — including a Flight Centre, Sydney's menswear and Australian Boot Company — were closed or suffered water damage, and some moved locations. Read more.
Feb. 20, 2008 A massive, six-alarm fire destroyed a strip of buildings on the south side of the street, between Bathurst and Portland Streets. Fourteen buildings, including Duke's Cycle, were destroyed. One year before the fire, the block had been declared a heritage conservation district. Read more.
Aug. 11, 2006 A two-alarm fire in the upper floors of a Beverley Street apartment building just north of Queen Street West required high-rise units from Toronto Fire Services.
April 21, 2005 A fire at 278 Queen Street West, which moved into an adjacent HMV store, required as many as 20 fire trucks get it under control.
The Black Bull of YoreYork was a hospitable place in the old days, for the places of entertainment in every section of town were very much more numerous, when compared to the population, than they are now. Up to a recent period, when it was succeeded by a brick building, bearing the same name, however there stood at the north-east corner of Queen and Soho streets the antique-looking inn, shown in the illustration, with a swinging sign and wooden water trough and pump in front. This was the Black Bull Hotel, a favourite stopping place for farmers on their way to town from the west and north-west.READ MORE »
Robertson’s Landmarks of Toronto (first series) (Toronto: J. Ross Robertson, 1894).
Patio denizens and motorcycle enthusiasts may be relieved to hear news reports that fire damage at the venerable Black Bull was largely confined to the upper apartments and that the bar will reopen today. Had the three-alarm fire spread, Toronto would have lost what is debatably its oldest watering hole: drinks and hospitality were first served at the Black Bull in, depending on the source, 1833 (a year before York became Toronto) or 1838 (a year after William Lyon Mackenzie’s rebellion).
Based on a portrait of the bar in Robertson’s Landmarks of Toronto, even in its early days the Black Bull attracted a parking lot full of hogs…of the animal variety.
York was a hospitable place in the old days, for the places of entertainment in every section of town were very much more numerous, when compared to the population, than they are now. Up to a recent period, when it was succeeded by a brick building, bearing the same name, however there stood at the north-east corner of Queen and Soho streets the antique-looking inn, shown in the illustration, with a swinging sign and wooden water trough and pump in front. This was the Black Bull Hotel, a favourite stopping place for farmers on their way to town from the west and north-west.
Advertisement mentioning the Black Bull. The Globe, July 14, 1858.
The property was originally purchased by Peter Russell, for whom nearby Peter Street was named, in 1798 and was initially used for farming. Other illustrious families whose names remain on downtown streets (Baldwin, Willcocks) were owners of the property at Soho and Queen West over the first half of the 19th century. According to Robertson, the first landlord of the Black Bull Hotel was a Mr. Mosson. Between 1886 and 1889, the building was bricked and expanded. Being a bar, it’s inevitable the Black Bull would eventually land in the police blotter. In a court case reported in the December 7, 1895 edition of the Globe, proprietor Richard Allcock and bartender Charles Bates were sued by carriage builder William Potter for $200. The plaintiff went to the Black Bull for a drink with a friend that September, but “while there a number of others congregated and had a drink at his expense.” When Bates demanded payment, Potter refused and a fight ensued. As Bates threw Potter out of the bar, the bartender struck Potter with such force that he lay unconscious for a week and was bedridden for a further five. The defendants denied the charges. According to a 1903 classified ad, the Black Bull offered anyone looking for a place to stay a “large comfortable room, en suite or otherwise, for rent, with or without board.” That the ad didn’t use “quiet” as an adjective may have been due to incidents such as one that occurred on March 10, 1904. Four rowdy young men caused a ruckus in their room that night, during which they ignored the bartender’s attempt to quiet them down. When proprietor William Seager went up to the room, the men pounced and broke his leg. Two months later, when the incident went to court, Seager hobbled his way to the stand on crutches. His attackers received sentences ranging from 60 days to six months. For much of the 20th century, the premises operated as the Clifton House, a name it shared with an east end home for boys where beer was the only drink available in its beverage room. Articles published after the name reverted back to the Black Bull in 1977 indicated that it was “pretty rough” during its Clifton days. All we were able to ascertain about the Clifton was that it was among the 68 venues licensed to sell beer in Toronto in 1934. By the early 1980s, when the bar was owned by retired football players Bobby Taylor and Jimmy Hughes, the Star reported that “the only reminder of its past are the colourful residents who patronize the pub, along with Ontario College of Art students and a full range of athletic types.” Additional material from Robertson’s Landmarks of Toronto by John Ross Robertson (first series) (Toronto: J. Ross Robertson, 1894); the December 7, 1895 edition of the Globe; and the December 23, 1903, May 26, 1904, November 1, 1934, and November 18, 1980 editions of the Toronto Star.